South Ferriby’s Heritage and History
South Ferriby has a fascinating history. The location of the village, just where the Wolds meet the Humber has meant that since prehistoric times it has had a strategic importance.
The name of course correctly suggests it was a ferry terminal and in fact ferries ran from Ferriby Sluice until the first World War.
South Ferriby Origins
South Ferriby as the name suggests is defined as ‘The farmstead or village beside the ferry’. South Ferriby has through the ages been known as the following:- Ferriby, Ferraby, Ferribi, Ferebi, Ferya By, Ferrebe, North Ferebe, which is shown on an old map dating from 1610 and South Ferraby (in 1842). It is South in raltionship to North Ferriby which is located on the opposite bank of the River Humber.
The Doomsday Book (1086) referred to the village as “Ferebi”.
Other names – for the village include Suth Feriby
The name – can be translated to ‘The farmstead or village at the ferry’. It is South in contrast to North Ferriby which is located on the opposite bank of the River Humber. -by – farmstead, village – (Old Norse – by)
South Ferriby Publications
We are very fortunate in having in the village a number of enthusiastic historians and extracts from their publications and photograph collections can be viewed on this page.
Copies of the parish registers are held on microfiche at Scunthorpe Library and cover:
Baptisms 1538 to 1911
Burials 1618 to 1991
Marriages 1639 to 1971
Now and Then
Many more photographs can be viewed on our gallery page.
If you have any additions for the history page please contact the clerk May open an email client if one is installed.
Humber Keels and Sloops
The Humber Keel and Sloop Preservation Society are a Society of volunteers who preserve and sail two rare historic Sailing Vessels which can often be seen sailing on the Humber.
Their mission is to preserve two Historic Sailing Vessels, the Humber Keel ‘Comrade’ and the Humber Sloop ‘Amy Howson’, which make part of our local Maritime Heritage, and to continue to sail them on their home waters.
All photographs kindly provided by the Humber Keel and Sloop Preservation Society.
http://www.keelsandsloops.org.uk/ Opens in a new window
YEAR – POPULATION
1801 – 280
1811 – 420
1821 – 453
1831 – 500
1841 – 542
1851 – 580
1861 – 573
1871 – 721
1881 – 733
1891 – 638
1901 – 738
1911 – 725
1921 – 736
1931 – 701
1941 – N/A
1951 – 696
1961 – 663
1971 – 607
1981 – 619
1991 – 614
1891 Surnames (A – Z)
Allison, Altoft, Anderton, Andrew, Andrews, Asgerby, Austin.
Bachelor, Barker, Barley, Beacock, Beedan, Benson, Birkitt, Briggs, Brown, Bryan, Bullivant, Butler.
Carlisle, Castle, Clark, Cliff, Cook, Cousins, Cressey, Crow.
Daw, Dawson, Dent, Dinsdale, Downs, Drury, Dunn.
Farrow, Fidgett, Firth, Fowler, Franks, Frow, Fysh.
Gibson, Gilliatt, Grasby, Green, Gunson, Guy.
Hall, Hanson, Harvey, Hatcliff, Hatfield, Havercroft, Hebblewhite, Heslam, Hewson, Hildreth, Holdwith, Holland, Holmes, Howell, Howells, Howson, Huteson.
Jacklin, Jackson, Johnson, Jones.
Kellick, Killick, King, Kirk, Kitchen.
Mallty, Marten, Martin, Master, Mathews, Melton, Milner, Moment, Morris, Moxon.
Rack, Revell, Reville, Richardson, Robinson.
Sammons, Sargant, Slater, Smith, Sobey, Spawforth, Stamford, Stephens, Such, Sumpter, Sweeting.
Taylor, Thompson, Tindale, Todd, Tomblin, Twidale.
Waddingham, Walker, Walton, Wardle, Watson, Welch, Westerdale, Wilkinson, Wills, Wilson, Wood, Wrightswan
Historic Map of South Ferriby
This historic map has been supplied by www.old-maps.co.uk Opens in a new window
© and database right Crown copyright and Landmark Information Group Ltd
(All rights reserved 2006)
Appledore, 26 Main Street, Horkstow
Barton-upon-Humber DN18 6BG
07393 21 30 30