South Ferriby has a fascinating history. The location of the village, just where the Wolds meet the Humber has meant that since prehistoric times it has had a strategic importance.
The name of course correctly suggests it was a ferry terminal and in fact ferries ran from Ferriby Sluice until the first World War.
South Ferriby Publications
We are very fortunate in having in the village a number of enthusiastic historians and extracts from their publications and photograph collections can be viewed on this page.
Copies of the parish registers are held on microfiche at Scunthorpe Library and cover Baptisms 1538 to 1911, Burials 1618 to 1991, and Marriages 1639 to 1971.
Historic Map of South Ferriby
© and database right Crown copyright and Landmark Information Group Ltd (All rights reserved 2006)
Humber Keels and Sloops
The Humber Keel and Sloop Preservation Society are a Society of volunteers who preserve and sail two rare historic Sailing Vessels which can often be seen sailing on the Humber.
Their mission is to preserve two Historic Sailing Vessels, the Humber Keel ‘Comrade’ and the Humber Sloop ‘Amy Howson’, which make part of our local Maritime Heritage, and to continue to sail them on their home waters.
All photographs kindly provided by the
Humber Keel and Sloop Preservation Society.
South Ferriby – Origins
South Ferriby as the name suggests is defined as ‘The farmstead or village beside the ferry’. South Ferriby has through the ages been known as the following:- Ferriby, Ferraby, Ferribi, Ferebi, Ferya By, Ferrebe, North Ferebe, which is shown on an old map dating from 1610 and South Ferraby (in 1842). It is South in raltionship to North Ferriby which is located on the opposite bank of the River Humber.
The Doomsday Book (1086) referred to the village as “Ferebi”.
Other names – for the village include Suth Feriby
The name – can be translated to ‘The farmstead or village at the ferry’. It is South in contrast to North Ferriby which is located on the opposite bank of the River Humber. -by – farmstead, village – (Old Norse – by)
Now and Then
Many more photographs can be viewed on our gallery page.
If you have any additions for the history page please contact the clerk
Contact the Clerk
26 Main Street
T: 07393 21 30 30
10am - 3pm Monday to Friday
South Ferriby - 1891 Surnames (A - Z)
Allison, Altoft, Anderton, Andrew, Andrews, Asgerby, Austin.
Bachelor, Barker, Barley, Beacock, Beedan, Benson, Birkitt, Briggs, Brown, Bryan, Bullivant, Butler.
Carlisle, Castle, Clark, Cliff, Cook, Cousins, Cressey, Crow.
Daw, Dawson, Dent, Dinsdale, Downs, Drury, Dunn.
Farrow, Fidgett, Firth, Fowler, Franks, Frow, Fysh.
Gibson, Gilliatt, Grasby, Green, Gunson, Guy.
Hall, Hanson, Harvey, Hatcliff, Hatfield, Havercroft, Hebblewhite, Heslam, Hewson, Hildreth, Holdwith, Holland, Holmes, Howell, Howells, Howson, Huteson.
Jacklin, Jackson, Johnson, Jones.
Kellick, Killick, King, Kirk, Kitchen.
Mallty, Marten, Martin, Master, Mathews, Melton, Milner, Moment, Morris, Moxon.
Rack, Revell, Reville, Richardson, Robinson.
Sammons, Sargant, Slater, Smith, Sobey, Spawforth, Stamford, Stephens, Such, Sumpter, Sweeting.
Taylor, Thompson, Tindale, Todd, Tomblin, Twidale.
Waddingham, Walker, Walton, Wardle, Watson, Welch, Westerdale, Wilkinson, Wills, Wilson, Wood, Wrightswan
South Ferriby - Population History
- YEAR – POPULATION
- 1801 – 280
- 1811 – 420
- 1821 – 453
- 1831 – 500
- 1841 – 542
- 1851 – 580
- 1861 – 573
- 1871 – 721
- 1881 – 733
- 1891 – 638
- 1901 – 738
- 1911 – 725
- 1921 – 736
- 1931 – 701
- 1941 – N/A
- 1951 – 696
- 1961 – 663
- 1971 – 607
- 1981 – 619
- 1991 – 614